How to Choose a Guardianship Attorney
Guardianship is a process in which someone is appointed to be the legal guardian of another due to incapacitation. Common elder guardianship cases result from Alzheimer’s or dementia. It may become increasingly clear to the person’s children or caregivers that they’re no longer able to make decisions in regards to medical care, personal care, and finances. A court of law will step in to determine if a guardian is necessary. In cases like these, it’s incredibly important to have a guardianship attorney working for you. A guardianship attorney can provide you with information regarding your options and prepare you for the process. Choosing a guardian won’t be an easy decision, but with the help of this list, hopefully, the process of choosing a guardianship attorney will be.
7 Tips For Choosing a Guardianship Attorney
1. Do your research. You can look up records on guardianship attorneys in MN using the American Bar Association’s website. Or ask your friends and family who they recommend.
2. Once you have some names, check out their websites, blogs, and social media accounts. Their pages should include resourceful information for you to learn about them and their areas of practice.
3. Set up an initial consultation to discuss your guardianship case. And come prepared with questions. You’re hiring them for a job, so interview them. And make sure their answers fit your needs.
Some questions you may want to ask:
- What experience do you have with estate planning and guardianship cases?
- Do you foresee any problems arising with my guardianship case?>
- What are the estimated legal fees?
- How can I get a hold of you?
4. Choose a guardianship attorney you feel comfortable with. These are big decisions and you want a guardianship attorney you are comfortable talking with and expressing concerns to. This goes the other way, too. You should be encouraged to ask questions and learn about the process, and your lawyer should know how to communicate clearly, so you fully understand.
5. You want a guardianship attorney who knows the law and who can handle your case effectively and efficiently – even if unforeseen circumstances pop up. Pay attention to their education and years of experience. You should feel confident in both.
6. Get a guardianship attorney that focuses on all areas of guardianship, including estate planning. Many lawyers do estate planning, but you should get one that specializes in guardianship. They’ll have a stronger knowledge in guardianship. An attorney who doesn’t regularly practice in estate planning and guardianship is less likely to be up to date on changes that happen, and you’re more likely to experience delays due to other commitments. Getting a qualified, specialized estate planning attorney means things will be done right the first time, saving you from problems down the road.
7. Hire a lawyer that has experience handling cases in your state. Guardianship laws vary from state to state. Your lawyer should be licensed to practice law and admitted to the local Bar Associations. In addition, they should be well versed on your state’s particular laws. It’s also helpful if they have experience practicing in your county, as they will be familiar with that particular court and judge.
Why Choosing the Right Guardianship Attorney Matters
The outcomes of elder law cases are incredibly important. Having the right guardian ensures that the person receives the best care, including proper medical care, personal care, and finances. Choosing an experienced guardianship attorney to help guide you along the way will make you feel comfortable and confident about your or your loved one’s future. Decisions like these are often continuously put off because of the nature of the topic, but once discussed they can give you peace of mind. Life is unpredictable, and making choices now ensures that you have control down the road, no matter where life takes you.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
Experienced, Trusted, and Compassionate Attorney
Attorney Paul Jeddeloh is dedicated to your case. He is an attorney that has provided compassionate and trusted estate representation for over four decades. Paul has the experience to protect your loved ones in their time of need. Contact Paul Jeddeloh, a top-rated estate planning and elder law attorney to help in your future plans.